The intent of the rules is more important than the letter
The rules are kept vague in order to cover as many situations as we can without having a rules page the size of a small novel. Attempting to rules-lawyer ones way out of trouble is a good way to fall into more trouble, please do not do that.
For station regulations and corporate rules, go here
1. OOC Conduct Rules
1.1 - Do not use offensive language in any OOC channel. This includes offensive usernames/ckeys and use of real slurs in IC contexts.
1.2 - Do not harass other players in any OOC channel, including 3rd party clients such as Skype, Discord, or Byond Messenger.
1.3 - Do not disrespect other players or staff.
1.4 - Do not grief.
1.5 - Do not interact with AFK/SSD players without staff permission, unless it is an emergency.
1.6 - End of Round Grief is not permitted. Do not damage the transfer shuttle. This rule does not apply to the emergency evacuation shuttle or fights that continue onto the shuttle.
1.7 - Do not abuse bugs or exploits.
1.8 - Do not bring needless toxicity to OOC channels.
- 1.8.1 - The Staff reserves the right to ban toxic individuals from the community.
1.9 - Do not advertise other communities without the permission of Senior Staff.
- 1.9.1 - Do not condemn other communities.
2. IG Conduct Rules
2.1 - Do not ERP, or engage in borderline ERP such as fondling or fetishistic behavior.
2.2 - Do not engage in excessively graphic depictions of torture over the general IC comms, such as disembowelment, flaying, or other such examples.
2.3 - Do not metagame, either by meta-communications or by OOC knowledge of the antagonists.
2.4 - Do not metagrudge, as defined as allowing an OOC dislike of a player to influence IC decisions regarding their character.
2.5 - Do not commit suicide as a means to exit the round. If you feel that suiciding is a justified reaction to something occurring in round, please ask for permission with staff.
2.X - If an admin asks if you have read the rules and for the code, tell them "RGYI".
2.6 - Do not powergame. Powergaming is taking actions that ignore roleplay or reasonable cause and effect for the purpose of “winning”. Mode-specific preparation, ignoring pain, or rushing a hostage situation with no regard for the hostage's survival are examples of powergaming.
2.7 - No reference characters. Characters with likeness exact, or similar, names/appearances from living or dead, real or fictional characters is not allowed.
3. Character-Related Rules
3.1 - We do not allow the play of violent, disruptive cases of mental illness. Characters must have a reasonable level of sanity and maturity.
3.2 - Characters claiming they did not read the law is not an excuse.
3.3 - Do not play offensive stereotypes.
3.4 - Do not play perfect or unrealistically skilled characters. Limit yourself to what your character would know based upon the Skill System. Antagonists may know more so they can make the round interesting.
3.5 - Characters that regularly play in certain departments are expected to know that department's SOP.
3.6 - The Chain of Command should be respected, unless the situation prevents this.
- 3.6.1 - Any Head of Staff demotion is to be done by a majority vote with a fax to CCIA and an Ahelp. If there are only two Heads of Staff and a vote is not possible, Ahelp or fax CCIA.
3.7 - Gimmick characters, defined as those with only one defining trait and no personality outside of this, are not allowed.
3.8 - Characters must have an original and species-appropriate name. Initials, nicknames, and reference names are not allowed.
- 3.8.1 - Humans, Skrell, and Tajaran must have a first name and surname, and may have a middle name. Numbers are not allowed.
- 3.8.2 - Tajara WIP
- 3.8.3 - MMIs, Positronics, and Drones may use a single-word name, multi-word name, or acronym. Numbers ARE allowed.
- 3.8.4 - Unathi may have a one, two, or three names. Numbers are not allowed.
3.9 - Some characters are restricted from joining as certain jobs, depending on their species.
- 3.9.1 - Humans and Skrell may perform any job.
- 3.9.2 - Tajara may not join as Colony Director. In the absence of a Colony Director, a human or skrell in command should be offered Acting Director before this species.
- 3.9.3 - Unathi may not join as Colony Director or Head of Security. In the absence of these roles, a human or skrell in the appropriate department should be offered the Acting role before this species.
- 3.9.4 - Drones may not fill any Command role other than Command Secretary, any Science role, Quartermaster, Chaplain, or make use of the Virologist alt-title.
- 3.9.5 - MMIs in a Shell follow the the same rules as their base species. MMIs that wish to fill Command roles must have a name appropriate for their base species.
- 3.9.6 - IPCs may not fill any Command role other than Research Director, Chief Medical Officer, or Chief Engineer.
- 220.127.116.11 - Only sentient IPC may occupy the roles of CMO and RD. (refer to Synthetic)
4. Antag-Related Rules
4.1 - Antagonist characters do not canonically exist outside of the rounds they are featured in.
4.2 - Crew characters cannot be used as ERT.
4.3 - Antagonists on the manifest are to be treated as crew by lawed synthetics unless stated otherwise by law changes or Heads of Staff.
4.4 - Players that repeatedly do nothing with their antagonist status may be banned from antagonist roles.
4.5 - Players that do not have antagonist status may not carry out serious antagonistic activities without good incentive and staff approval.
- 4.5.1 - Non-antagonist characters are allowed to commit minor infractions or crimes, within reason and roleplay. Exemple: Setting up a simple scam to gain a small amount of credits, stealing someone's item. Don't hesitate to contact the staff if you are unsure of your actions.
4.6 - Antagonists are expected to create RP with the crew. Killing, sabotaging, or bombing without crew interactions is not allowed.
4.7 - Antagonist activities are to start before the transfer shuttle is called. Activities that are already in progress may be played out to their logical conclusion.
4.8 - Do not "murderbone" (kill) randomly and blindly with little or no previous roleplay.
4.9 - Killing as a non-antag in self-defense is acceptable so long as the force used is reasonable and justifiable by your character's experience.
4.10 - If you are still unsure or have any questions before doing any acts as an antag or non-antag, please Ahelp for an admin.
5. Staff Rules
5.1 - Do not use staff powers or authority to give yourself an unfair advantage.
5.2 - Do not handle an issue you are involved in, unless no other staff are available.
5.3 - Player Notes are only given to the player that they regard. These are to have all staff names and ranks removed.
5.4 - All events are to be cleared by Headstaff first.
5.5 - Do not play favorites. All are equal in the eyes of the rules.
(All credit to Polaris for their rules, thank you.)